I thought it would be useful to have a small bag for my phone, so I started thinking of a nice design and this chevron phone bag is the end result. I would like to share the pattern with you, so you can make your own phone bag. It doesn’t take much yarn, so you may already have enough in your stash.
I used a single crochet chevron stitch to make this bag. This stitch is easy to crochet and to help you get started I made a video tutorial.
My bag measures 12 x 16.5 cm and should even fit a large phone.
- Crochet hook 3.0 mm
- Sport weight cotton yarn, I used Scheepjes Catona 1 skein in black and 1 in white.
- Button of 20 mm. I used crystal buttons of Hobbii.
Pattern base bag
For the base of the bag, we are going to work a long piece in the chevron stitch. You can crochet along with the video where I explain the stitch.
Start with black
- Chain 32 to create the foundation chain. You will work the first row into the loops on the back side of the chain (see video)
- Row 1: 2 sc in second ch, 6 sc, skip 2 stitches, 6 sc, 3 sc in next ch, 6 sc, skip 2 stitches, 6 sc, 2 sc in last ch. Turn.
- Row 2: ch 1, 2 sc in first stitch, 6 sc, skip 2 stitches, 6 sc, 3 sc in next stitch, 6 sc, skip 2 stitches, 6 sc, 2 sc in last stitch. Turn.
- Row 3: repeat row 2 (black)
- Row 4: repeat row 2 (black)
- Row 5: Change to white. Repeat row 2, but only in the back loops.
- Row 6: repeat row 2 (white)
- Row 7: repeat row 2 (white)
- Row 8: repeat row 2 (white)
Keep repeating row 2 until you have reached row 67, changing color after every 4 rows. The first row in a new color is worked in the back loops. You will end with black.
Let’s create the row with the loop for the button. Don’t forget to check if your loop fits around your button. You can always crochet more or fewer chains.
- Row 68: ch 1, 2 sc in first stitch, 6 sc, skip 2 stitches, 6 sc. Work in next stitch; 1 sc, chain 8, 1 sc. 6 sc, skip 2 stitches, 6 sc, 2 sc in last stitch, fasten off.
The side of the bag 2x
- Row 1: Join with black on the right side of your work and single crochet along the entire side. You will work 1 single crochet on the side of each row. This way, you will end up with 68 sc in the side (4 sc per color).
- Row 2: Turn your work. Chain 1, now work front post double crochet stitches around each single crochet. Fasten off.
The bag strap
I made a small bag strap with both colors. I’ll show you how I did this in the video below. My bag strap measures approximately 125 cm. My advice is to measure a bag strap of another bag to get the length which suits you best. Keep in mind that the strap stretches out a bit on the weight of the phone.
Assembling the Bag
Fold the bag in such a way that the zigzag pattern comes out nicely. The fold is about 16 cm from the top of the chevron, this is 12 cm on the side.
Start sewing at the bottom of the bag (at the fold). I only sewed through the loops which are on the outside of the stitches. Take your cord and fasten it to the inside of the bag. To ensure that your bag keeps a nice shape while wearing, sew the cord to the side until the next fold.
Repeat this on the other side. Make sure your cord doesn’t get tangled.
Attach the button.
This pattern is intended for non-commercial purposes. The pattern may not be published elsewhere. A link to the pattern is, of course, allowed.