For the genuine bookworm, I’ve designed the crochet pattern of this elegant bookmark. The pattern also includes a video for those who prefer to crochet along with me. I’ve chosen lace/superfine yarn for the bookmark, because this allows the book to close neatly. My bookmarks weigh less than 5 grams, so this is a great project for yarn leftovers. You will find the written and video instructions below.
Translations: De Nederlandse versie vind je HIER.
- Yarn option 1: in Azur Blue ‘Go Handmade Tencel Bamboo Fine‘ (Super Fine yarn). Size bookmark (without fringe) 16 cm high, 4 cm wide. Crochet hook 2.0 mm.
- Yarn option 2: 100% cotton lace yarn (see pink bookmark below), similar yarn to for example ‘Scheepjes Maxi’. Crochet hook 1.5 mm. Size bookmark (without fringe) 15 cm high, 4 cm wide.
Video crochet pattern Elegant Bookmark
Crochet Pattern Elegant Bookmark
- chain 13
- Row 1: 1sc in second chain. 1sc in each of the next chains (12)
- Row 2: ch 1, 12 sc (12)
- Row 3: ch 3, skip 3 stitches, in next stitch; 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc. Skip 3 stitches. In the next stitch; 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc. Skip 3 stitches, 1 dc in last stitch.
- Row 4 to 19: ch 3, work in both chain spaces: 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc. 1 dc in last stitch.
- Row 20: ch 3, in both chain spaces: 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc. 1 dc in last stitch. Now you will continue to with the side for the border. Work single crochet stitches all the way around the bookmark (2 sc in side of each ‘shell’ row). Fasten off when you’ve reached the starting chains.
For the fringe, I’ve cut threads of about 12/13 cm. For each stitch, I have used 2 threads. Because you fold the threads in half and then pull them through the stitch, you will have 4 treads underneath each stitch. Are you in doubt on how to make fringe? Check the video above for the explanation.
Another option is to make 2 larger tassels in the two chain spaces in the top of the bookmark.
This pattern is intended for non-commercial purposes. The pattern may not be published elsewhere. A link to the pattern is, of course, allowed.